Last week I was able to go for another run with a great friend. It was a refreshing, head clearing, perspective run. We did not need a watch, or know the distance. We did not need all the ‘stuff’ that is supposed to enhance the running experience. We simply filled the time we had to share our life challenges and successes, while still focusing on technique and terrain.
Afterwards I consider how both my shoes and my friend helped me “run” real. Here are 10 Ways Running in Minimalist Shoes is Like Running with a Great Friend …
- Don’t try to correct you; they provide just enough protection and support.
- Flex and bend but with care don’t degrade over time.
- Ground you confidently in each moment.
- Keep the communication paths open and receptive.
- Help you realize that how you run, and who you are, is more important than the stuff you surround yourself with.
- Show us the most comfortable shoes have the most miles on them, and have been through the mud together a few times.
- Help you experience the concept of a light touch but a solid connection.
- Remind you to follow your own intuition and body sense adjustments.
- Develop skill and perspective so you can take any chosen path, terrain or surface in the same shoes.
- Remind us that when dealing with hardness in the world, be soft.
In the end, both let you run and be “real”. What do you think? What are other ways running minimalist is like running with the great friend?
Thoughts on this post? Leave your comment or question below …
David Stretanski is a holistic health, fitness and wellness coach – and Certified ChiRunning®/ChiWalking® Instructor. For more information on David, please see his About Me, Contact page or his website at http://www.eChiFitness.com.
ChiRunning® and ChiWalking® are registered trademarks of ChiLiving, Inc.